fair housing banner.jpg



Can I break my lease early because of domestic violence?


I recently split up with my boyfriend and have a domestic violence restraining order against him. He lives in a nearby neighborhood, and I’m no longer comfortable staying in my apartment. I have a lease with six months left on it. I don’t have the money to pay a lease break fee and put down a deposit on a new place, especially since I suspect my landlord will keep all of my current deposit. What can I do?


California has special rules that allow survivors of domestic violence to terminate their leases early. Under California Civil Code section 1946.7, a tenant with a can give their landlord a written fourteen-day termination notice, so long as you provide either (1) a copy of a police report on domestic violence, (2) an emergency protective order, (3) a restraining order, or (4) a letter from a qualified third-party, such as a domestic violence counselor, stating that the survivor has sought assistance as a result of domestic violence. If your restraining order was issued within the last 180 days, you can give your landlord a copy and inform him that you are moving out in 14 days. You’ll be responsible for those 14 days of rent, but not for any lease break penalties or rent beyond that period. Your landlord should treat your deposit just as though you moved out at the end of your lease. The landlord must return your deposit within 21 days and can deduct for unpaid rent, damage beyond normal wear and tear, and cleaning fees. If you believe your landlord is not following the law, you can contact a legal aid attorney, a domestic violence agency, or a fair housing agency for further assistance.

If I need a ramp, does my landlord need to pay for it?

Question: I use a wheelchair to get around, and my apartment building is pretty accessible. However, I can’t get to the area where the mailboxes are, because I would have to go down a small step to get there. There is enough room to install a ramp. I have asked the apartment manager and maintenance staff to install a ramp, and they have told me they won’t do it. Doesn’t the complex have an obligation to make access to the mailboxes accessible?

Answer: The fair housing laws require your landlord to allow reasonable structural changes to their building so that you can fully enjoy the building. That includes permitting construction of a ramp so you can get access to the mailboxes. These types of structural changes are considered reasonable modifications. You use a wheelchair, so it is clear that you have a disability, and that you would need a ramp to get access to your mailbox. (Other people whose disabilities are not as obvious or whose need for a modification is not as clear may need to provide documentation that they have a disability, explains the modification they need, and shows the relationship between the disability and the need for the requested modification.)

However, your apartment complex might not be on the hook for paying for the ramp. As a general rule, the tenant is responsible for paying for the cost of making the reasonable modification: the landlord’s responsibility is to grant permission for the tenant to make the modification. In your case, since the modification would be in a common area, the landlord would also be responsible for maintaining the ramp in a safe condition. If you live in an apartment complex that receives federal funding, your housing provider must pay for the ramp unless doing so would cause an undue financial or administrative burden. However, most apartment complexes don’t receive federal funding.

If you don’t live in a complex that receives federal funding, and you don’t have money to pay for the ramp, you may be able to get help. Many communities have a center for independence for individuals with disabilities. These organizations sometimes have funds for paying for reasonable modifications, and they also may be able to help you coordinate the construction. You can find out if there is one in your region by going to www.ncil.org or calling (844) 778-7961. For more information about reasonable modifications, contact your local fair housing agency.

Can I reject an ugly reasonable modification request?

Question: I am a HOA member. Another member of the HOA wants to pay for and install an air conditioner in his unit, but I’m concerned that the tubes that would run down his outside walls will be aesthetically unpleasant. This HOA member says he has severe asthma and needs the AC system so that he can breathe easily during the summer. There are so many different AC systems available, including ones that don’t involve tubing running down the outside walls. Does our HOA have to allow him to install whatever AC system he wants, or can we require him to install only aesthetically acceptable AC systems?

Answer: It sounds like the HOA member with severe asthma has a disability. Under federal and state fair housing laws, a disability is defined as a physical or mental condition that impairs a major life activity. Federal and state fair housing laws provide certain protections for people with disabilities, including being entitled to a reasonable accommodation, if necessary. A reasonable accommodation is a “change, exception, or adjustment to a rule, policy, practice or service that may be necessary for a person with disabilities to have an equal opportunity to use and enjoy a dwelling.” In order to receive a reasonable accommodation, the person with the disability must 1) request the reasonable accommodation, 2) be clear about what the accommodation is, and 3) demonstrate that the requested accommodation is necessary because of his or her disability. If the person with the disability has taken these steps, housing providers – including HOAs – are required to grant the request. Here, if the person’s asthma makes it difficult for him to breathe during the summer heat and the AC system is necessary to alleviate this impairment, the requesting party has met his burden. Housing providers may reject requests for reasonable accommodations if there is no relationship between the disability and the requested accommodation, or if the request would cause an undue financial or administrative burden. Here, there is no financial burden because the person with the disability is paying for the AC system, and it does not appear that there is an administrative burden. Rejecting a request for a reasonable accommodation on the grounds the accommodation would be aesthetically displeasing could violate fair housing laws. For more information about reasonable accommodation or other issues involving housing discrimination contact your local fair housing agency.

Does my family have to move units because we had another child?

Question: I am a tenant. After my wife gave birth to our second child, the property manager notified me that I was in violation of the lease, which stated that only three people are allowed in the one-bedroom apartment we are renting. The property manager offered a two-bedroom unit to me, but I can’t afford the two-bedroom apartment. Is the landlord allowed to do this?

Answer: This is a complicated question because the fair housing laws do not explicitly state an occupancy limit. This means that there is no statewide rule, law, or regulation which says how many people can or cannot live in a certain bedroom size rental unit. With this in mind, California does have a guideline. This guideline is followed by the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (“the DFEH”), so it is a good suggestion to follow since this is the agency most likely to decide whether a landlord’s occupancy limit is or is not discriminatory. This guideline is known as “two plus one.” This refers to two people per bedroom plus one additional person. Let’s apply this to a two-bedroom apartment: (2 people per bedroom x 2 bedrooms) + 1 additional person = 5. Following this guideline, it would appear that limiting a one-bedroom apartment to three people is “fair.” Because this is a guideline –and not a rule, law, or regulation -it means that there are occasions where it may be reasonable to allow more or fewer people in an apartment. For example, a one-bedroom apartment that is 1,000 square feet could comfortably fit more than three occupants. In addition to the size of the apartment, there might be other factors to consider, such as the layout of the apartment—perhaps it is a one-bedroom with a den.

Many times, landlords are concerned for the health and safety of the residents. California has addressed this issue in the California Health and Safety Code. The California Health and Safety Code has adopted the federal Uniform Housing Code, which sets the minimum dwelling size for two people at 120 square feet, and for each additional occupant the dwelling must increase by 50 square feet. This limitation is much more generous than the two plus one guideline that fair housing laws contemplate.

So, what does this mean for your situation and why might this be a fair housing (housing discrimination) issue? In order to tell you specifically about your situation, we would need to know more details, but in similar cases, Project Sentinel has been able to successfully preserve tenants’ housing after gathering additional information, doing further investigation and providing the landlord with information on how overly restrictive occupancy limits can have fair housing implications.

Occupancy limits that could be construed as overly restrictive are a fair housing (housing discrimination) issue because of the effect that such limits have on families with children. Families with minor children are protected by fair housing laws. A rule (even one that is applied to all tenants or prospective tenants) that disproportionately affects families with children by restricting their access to housing can be considered discriminatory. Overly restrictive occupancy limits will have a greater impact on families with children by limiting their housing choices in the rental market. Ultimately, if you believe you are being discriminated against on the basis of having minor children in your household, you should contact your local fair housing agency.


¿Como víctima de violencia doméstica puedo romper mi contrato de arrendamiento?


Recientemente me separé de mi novio y tengo una orden de restricción contra él por violencia doméstica. Él vive en un vecindario cercano, y yo ya no me siento cómoda quedándome en mi apartamento. Tengo un contrato de arrendamiento al cual le quedan seis meses. No tengo el dinero para pagar una tarifa por rescindir el arrendamiento y dar un depósito para una nueva vivienda, especialmente porque sospecho que mi arrendador se quedará con todo mi depósito actual. ¿Qué puedo hacer?


California tiene reglas especiales que permiten a las víctimas de violencia doméstica rescindir sus contratos de arrendamiento de forma anticipada. Bajo el código civil de California, sección 1946.7, un inquilino puede dar a su arrendador una notificación de rescisión por escrito con catorce días de antelación, siempre y cuando proporcione o bien (1) una copia de un informe policial sobre la violencia doméstica, (2) una orden de protección de emergencia, (3) una orden de restricción, o (4) una carta de un tercero calificado, como un consejero de violencia doméstica, afirmando que el sobreviviente ha buscado ayuda como resultado de la violencia doméstica. Si su orden de restricción se emitió en los últimos 180 días, puede darle a su arrendador una copia e informarle que se dentro de 14 días. Usted será responsable por esos 14 días de alquiler, pero no por cualquier penalización por rescisión de contrato de arrendamiento o por el alquiler más allá de ese período. Su arrendador debe tratar su depósito de la misma manera que lo habría hecho si usted se hubiera mudado al final de su contrato de arrendamiento. El arrendador debe devolverle su depósito en un plazo de 21 días, y puede deducir del mismo cualquier alquiler no pagado, daños más allá del desgaste normal, y las tarifas de limpieza. Si cree que su arrendador no está respetando la ley, puede ponerse en contacto con un abogado de asistencia legal, una agencia de ayuda en caso de violencia doméstica, o con una agencia de vivienda justa para obtener más ayuda.

¿Mi arrendador no tiene que instalar una rampa?

Pregunta: Utilizo una silla de ruedas para trasladarme, y mi edificio de apartamentos es bastante accesible. Sin embargo, no puedo llegar a la zona donde están los buzones son, porque tendría que bajar un pequeño escalón para llegar allí. Hay suficiente espacio para instalar una rampa. Le he pedido al gerente de los apartamentos y al personal de mantenimiento que instalen una rampa, y me han dicho que no lo harán. ¿El complejo de apartamentos no tiene la obligación de hacer que el acceso a los buzones sea accesible?

Respuesta: Las leyes de vivienda justa requieren que su arrendador permita cambios estructurales razonables en su edificio para que usted pueda disfrutar plenamente del edificio. Esto incluye permitir la construcción de una rampa para que pueda obtener acceso a los buzones de correo. Estos tipos de cambios estructurales se consideran modificaciones razonables. Usted utiliza una silla de ruedas, por lo que está claro que tiene una discapacidad, y que necesitaría una rampa para obtener acceso a su buzón de correo. (Otras personas cuyas discapacidades no son tan obvias o cuya necesidad de modificación no es tan clara pueden necesitar proporcionar documentación de que tienen una discapacidad, que explique la modificación que necesitan y que muestre la relación entre la discapacidad y la necesidad de la modificación solicitada).

Sin embargo, es posible que su complejo de apartamentos no esté obligado a pagar por la rampa. Como regla general, el inquilino es responsable de pagar el costo de realizar la modificación razonable: la responsabilidad del arrendador es otorgar el permiso para que el inquilino realice la modificación. En su caso, ya que la modificación sería en un área común, el arrendador también sería responsable por mantener la rampa en una condición segura. Sin embargo, si usted vive en un complejo de apartamentos que recibe fondos federales, su proveedor de vivienda debe pagar la rampa a menos que el hacerlo ocasionaría una carga financiera o administrativa indebida. Sin embargo, la mayoría de los complejos de apartamentos no reciben fondos federales.

Si no vive en un complejo que recibe fondos federales, y no tiene dinero para pagar la rampa, es posible que pueda obtener ayuda. Muchas comunidades tienen un centro para la independencia, para personas con discapacidades. Estas organizaciones a veces tienen fondos para pagar por las modificaciones razonables, y también pueden ayudarle a coordinar la construcción. Puede averiguar si hay alguno en su región yendo a www.ncil.org o llamando al (844) 778-7961. Para obtener más información sobre las modificaciones razonables, comuníquese con su agencia local de vivienda justa.

Tiếng Việt

Là Nạn Nhân Bạo Hành Gia Đình, Tôi Có Thể Chấm Dứt Sớm Việc Thuê Nhà Không?


Gần đây tôi chia tay với bạn trai và tòa đã ban lệnh cấm anh ta có hành vi bạo hành. Anh ta sống ở khu phố gần đây và tôi không còn thoải mái khi ở tại căn hộ của mình. Tôi có hợp đồng thuê nhà còn hạn sáu tháng. Tôi không có tiền để trả phí phá vỡ hợp đồng và đặt cọc cho nơi ở mới, đặc biệt là bởi tôi cho rằng chủ nhà của tôi sẽ giữ toàn bộ số tiền cọc hiện tại của tôi. Tôi có thể làm gì?

Trả lời:

California có các quy định đặc biệt cho phép những nạn nhân bạo hành gia đình chấm dứt sớm hợp đồng thuê nhà. Theo phần 1946.7, Bộ luật Dân sự California, người thuê nhà có thể gửi cho chủ nhà thông báo chấm dứt thuê nhà trước mười bốn ngày bằng văn bản với điều kiện quý vị cung cấp được một trong các tài liệu sau: (1) bản sao báo cáo của cảnh sát về bạo hành gia đình, (2) lệnh bảo vệ khẩn cấp, (3) lệnh cấm, hoặc (4) thư của bên thứ ba đủ điều kiện, như cố vấn về bạo hành gia đình trong đó cho biết nạn nhân đã tìm kiếm sự trợ giúp do bị bạo hành gia đình. Nếu lệnh cấm của quý vị được ban hành trong vòng 180 ngày gần nhất, quý vị có thể đưa cho chủ nhà bản sao và cho họ biết rằng quý vị sẽ chuyển đi trong 14 ngày tới. Quý vị sẽ chịu trách nhiệm chi trả cho 14 ngày thuê này nhưng không chịu bất kỳ hình phạt phá vỡ hợp đồng nào hay chi trả tiền thuê vượt quá thời gian đó. Chủ nhà của quý vị cần xử lý tiền cọc của quý vị tương tự như trường hợp quý vị chuyển đi khi kết thúc hợp đồng thuê nhà. Chủ nhà phải trả lại tiền đặt cọc cho quý vị trong vòng 21 ngày và có thể khấu trừ tiền thuê nhà chưa trả, thiệt hại quá mức hao mòn thông thường và phí vệ sinh. Nếu quý vị tin rằng chủ nhà của mình không tuân thủ pháp luật, quý vị có thể liên hệ với luật sư trợ giúp pháp lý, cơ quan chống bạo hành gia đình hoặc cơ quan nhà ở công bằng để được hỗ trợ thêm. Để được trợ giúp tại các hạt Santa Clara, San Mateo, Sacramento hoặc Stanislaus hoặc các thành phố Fremont, Merced và Tây Sacramento, liên hệ với Dự án Sentinel theo số (888) 324-7468 hoặc qua email theo địa chỉ fairhousing@housing.org.

Chủ nhà của tôi không bắt buộc phải bố trí đường dốc thoải đúng không?

Hỏi: Tôi sử dụng xe lăn để đi lại và chung cư của tôi khá dễ tiếp cận. Tuy nhiên, tôi không thể đến được chỗ đặt hộp thư do tôi sẽ phải đi xuống một bậc thang nhỏ mới tới được đó. Có đủ không gian để lắp đặt một đường dốc thoải. Tôi đã yêu cầu quản lý chung cư và nhân viên bảo trì lắp đặt đường dốc thoải nhưng họ nói với tôi rằng họ sẽ không làm. Liệu khu chung cư có nghĩa vụ đảm bảo việc tiếp cận các hộp thư không?

Trả lời: Luật nhà ở công bằng yêu cầu chủ nhà của quý vị cho phép thay đổi cấu trúc hợp lý đối với tòa nhà để quý vị có thể tận hưởng toàn bộ tòa nhà. Điều này bao gồm việc cho phép xây dựng đường dốc thoải để quý vị có thể tiếp cận các hộp thư. Các thay đổi cấu trúc được coi là sửa đổi hợp lý. Quý vị sử dụng xe lăn, vậy rõ ràng quý vị bị khuyết tật và quý vị cần đường dốc thoải để có thể tiếp cận hộp thư của mình. (Những người bị khuyết tật không rõ ràng hoặc có nhu cầu sửa đổi không rõ ràng có thể cần cung cấp tài liệu chứng minh họ bị khuyết tật, lý giải sửa đổi họ cần và cho thấy mối quan hệ giữa khuyết tật và nhu cầu sửa đổi được yêu cầu.)

Tuy nhiên, khu chung cư của quý vị có thể không phải chi trả tiền cho đường dốc thoải. Theo nguyên tắc chung, người thuê nhà có trách nhiệm trả chi phí cho các sửa đổi hợp lý: trách nhiệm của chủ nhà là cho phép người thuê thực hiện việc sửa đổi. Trong trường hợp của quý vị, do việc sửa đổi được tiến hành ở khu vực chung nên chủ nhà cũng sẽ chịu trách nhiệm đảm bảo đường dốc thoải trong điều kiện an toàn. Tuy nhiên, nếu quý vị sống tại một khu chung cư được liên bang tài trợ, thì đơn vị cung cấp nhà ở của quý vị phải trả tiền cho đường dốc thoải này trừ khi việc này gây gánh nặng tài chính hoặc hành chính không đáng có. Tuy nhiên, hầu hết các khu chung cư đều không được liên bang tài trợ.

Nếu quý vị không sống tại khu chung cư được liên bang tài trợ và quý vị không có tiền để trả cho đường dốc thoải, quý vị có thể được trợ giúp. Nhiều cộng đồng có trung tâm vì sự độc lập của người khuyết tật. Đôi khi các tổ chức này có quỹ chi trả cho các sửa đổi hợp lý và họ cũng có thể giúp quý vị điều phối việc xây dựng. Quý vị có thể tìm hiểu xem liệu khu vực của quý vị có tổ chức như vậy không bằng cách truy cập www.ncil.org hoặc gọi đến số (844) 778-7961. Để biết thêm thông tin về các sửa đổi hợp lý, hãy liên hệ với cơ quan nhà ở công bằng tại địa phương của quý vị. Để được trợ giúp tại các hạt Santa Clara, San Mateo, Sacramento và Stanislaus hoặc tại các thành phố Fremont, Merced và Tây Sacramento, hãy gọi cho Dự án Sentinel theo số (888) 324-7468 hoặc liên hệ qua email theo địa chỉ fairhousing@housing.org